Why trade exchange-traded funds (ETFs)?
ETFs combine the flexibility of individual stocks with the potential diversification of mutual funds. They are managed baskets of stocks and bonds, many of which are built to track well-known market indexes like the S&P 500®.
ETFs are collections of potentially dozens, hundreds, even thousands of investments4
Because they’re traded on major exchanges, they’re typically as easy as stocks to buy and sell
You can buy ETFs that track specific industries or strategies
At $6.95 per trade,3 they’re usually less expensive than other baskets of investments such as mutual funds
Why trade ETFs with E*TRADE?
We offer every ETF sold—along with tools and guidance that make it easy to find the right ones for your portfolio.
- React to market news around the clock with 24x5 trading on some of today’s most active ETFs
- Use our ETF Screener to quickly focus in on the funds you’re looking for
- Simplify your investing with our prebuilt portfolios of leading ETFs. Get a commission-free portfolio with an initial investment of $2,500.
- Save on commissions with commission-free ETFs from providers like Vanguard, iShares, and more
Have at it
We have everything you need to start working with ETFs right now.
- Do your research in our Knowledge section6
- Find ETFs that align with your values, reflect current trends, or invest in technologies such as clean water and artificial intelligence
- Get professional insights: consult our analysts
- Narrow your choices with selection tools like our All-Star5 ETF List
- Buy and sell with our easy-to-use trading tools
Don't sleep on opportunity
React to after-hours market events and overnight breaking news with 24-hour trading on some of today’s most widely traded ETFs.
- Trade from Sunday 8 p.m. to Friday 8 p.m. ET (excluding market holidays)
- Trade on etrade.com from 7 a.m. to 4 a.m. ET, and by phone from
4 a.m. to 7 a.m. ET, excluding market holidays at 800-387-2331
(broker-assist fee waived)
- Available for SPY, QQQ, EEM, DIA, GLD, USO, FXI, TLT, SLV, UNG, IWM, and SH
- View and/or cancel orders from any of our trading platforms
Trading during the Extended Hours overnight session carries unique and additional risks, such as lower liquidity, higher price volatility, and may not be appropriate for all investors. By entering an order during the overnight session you agree to the terms and conditions set forth in the Extended Hours Trading Agreement.
Top five performing ETFs
Data delayed by 15 minutes.
Top five lists are not a recommendation by E*TRADE Securities or its affiliates to buy, sell, or hold any security, financial product or instrument, nor is it an endorsement of any specific security, company, fund family, product, or service.
Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) on the list were identified by the following criteria: ETFs available on the E*TRADE platform with the highest 1-year total return and overall Morningstar rating of 4 or 5 stars, excluding exchange-traded notes, sector ETFs, and leveraged ETFs.
Data quoted represents past performance. Past performance is not an indication of future results and investment returns and share prices will fluctuate on a daily basis. Your investment may be worth more or less than your original cost at redemption. Current performance may be lower or higher than the performance data quoted. Performance is based on market returns. For quarterly and current performance metrics, please click on the fund name. ETF shares cannot be redeemed directly from the ETF. Consequently, brokerage commissions will reduce the performance.
Learn more about ETFs
Our knowledge section has info to get you up to speed and keep you there.6