A fast, easy way to get diversified
- Prebuilt portfolios of leading mutual funds or exchange-traded funds (ETFs)
- Conservative, moderate, and aggressive strategies
- Commission-free portfolios professionally built by E*TRADE's investment strategy team
(fund expenses and service fees apply)
minimum to get started
Get diversified without breaking a sweat
Choose a diversified portfolio of leading mutual funds or ETFs based on how much (or how little) risk you want to take. Purchasing the portfolio is quick and easy and within minutes you'll be invested in companies like Apple, Microsoft, Paypal, Cisco, and more. It's one of the simplest ways to get into the market.
Get a professionally built portfolio of leading mutual funds or ETFs with just a few clicks
Put more of your money to work with no trading charges and a low $2,500 minimum
You have the freedom to buy or sell individual ETFs or mutual funds at any time
We don't push our own funds or charge hidden fees, so you can be confident that we have your goals in mind
ETFs vs. mutual funds: Understand the difference
E*TRADE’s Prebuilt Portfolios lets you choose either a collection of mutual funds or ETFs.
What’s the difference? Find out below and decide which is best for your investment needs (or get both!).
- What are they - Baskets of individual stocks, bonds, or other investments that may be traded throughout the day, just like stocks
- Pricing - Prices may go up and down throughout the trading day, and typically have lower costs than actively managed funds
- Management - Typically managed to replicate the performance of a certain index (e.g., NASDAQ 100, S&P 500®, etc.)
- Flexibility - ETFs offer trading flexibility as they can be bought or sold throughout the trading day, or as part of more sophisticated trading strategies
- What are they - Baskets of individual stocks, bonds, or other investments handpicked by a professional fund manager that trade only once per day, after the markets close
- Pricing - Prices are determined only once each trading day, at the end of trading
- Management - Typically actively managed by professionals seeking to outperform the market
- Flexibility - Typically offer automatic dividend reinvestment and other convenient deposit and withdrawal features