How we work to secure your account
We use advanced security, such as encryption, firewalls, dedicated fraud protection teams, and multi-factor authentication to help secure your account.
E*TRADE Fraud Protection
We’ll cover any loss that results from the unauthorized use of our brokerage, banking, or lending services1
We use strong encryption to safeguard your personal information and transaction activity.
Our layered defense systems help protect your personal information.
E*TRADE Secure ID
Secure ID continues to be one of our most powerful two-factor authentication tools. This free app generates a unique access code to use in conjunction with your password each time you log on.
Get instant notifications for every transaction in your account, as well as stock, news, and portfolio alerts. To ensure prompt access, we recommend that you set your delivery preferences to receive your alerts via e-mail.
If we suspect your account has been the target of fraud, we'll send you a high-priority security alert to notify and inform you of any immediate steps you can take.
Take these additional steps to protect yourself:
Your E*TRADE Logon
- Passwords must contain a combination of special characters, numbers, uppercase characters, and lowercase characters
- Passwords should not contain names, common words, or numerical sequences (e.g., 111, 123, ETRADE123)
- Ensure that your E*TRADE username and password differ from those you use for other online accounts
- While we may contact you about your account, we will never ask for your username or password. Never share your password.
- Always log out of your account and close your browser after each logon
- Malicious software isn't just for computers. Make sure you download only trusted applications.
- Keep your operating system up to date to ensure the highest level of protection
- Exercise caution when using mobile hot spots, especially unsecured networks
- Review your account statements regularly to ensure that there is no unauthorized activity
- Review your credit reports regularly
- Limit carrying any unnecessary credit cards or your Social Security card
- Be careful when providing personal, private, and payment information online and on social networks
- Protect your computer by using an Internet security suite and privacy tools
- Be suspicious of e-mail attachments from unknown sources, as well as e-mails that convey a sense of urgency, asking you to click links. Instead of clicking links in e-mails, you can always go directly to an organization's website by typing its address into your browser.
- Verify the legitimacy of e-mails by calling the sending organization directly through a trusted contact number
Report a Security Concern
Contact Us Immediately If:
- You suspect that you are a victim of identity theft or fraud.
- You receive a fraudulent e-mail that looks like it is from E*TRADE Financial or one of our subsidiaries.
E-mail us at email@example.com
Or call Customer Service at 1-800-387-2331
Information about Cookies:
Learn how we use Web technologies to deliver more relevant content. Information about Cookies