(Non-custodial retirement plan)
A retirement plan with flexible investment choices
- For business owners with an established retirement plan trying to expand the range of investment options
- A trading platform for plans with third-party administrators
- Account setup options, including a pooled or separate participant account
minimum initial deposit
talk to a Small Business Specialist
Designed for business owners and plan sponsors with an established qualified retirement plan, using a third-party plan administrator
Flexible account setup options
Open one pooled account where the plan administrator manages the investment activity for the entire plan, OR establish separate accounts and authorize each participant or the plan administrator with management of the investment activity
No annual fees and no account minimums
Transaction fees, fund expenses, brokerage commissions and service fees may apply
Trade more, pay less
With E*TRADE, you pay a $6.95 commission for stock and option trades. Here’s a quick overview of our clear, competitive per-trade pricing.
$4.95 with 30+ trades per quarter3
$4.95 with 30+ trades per quarter,3 pay $0 commission on more than 250 ETFs4
no load, no-transaction-fee for more than 4,500 funds2
for online secondary market trades ($10 minimum, $250 maximum)5
50¢ - 75¢
per contract; plus $4.95 - $6.95 commission3
What are the eligibility requirements for Investment-Only (Non-Custodial) Retirement Plan?
- Designed for business owners and plan sponsors with an established qualified retirement plan, using a third-party plan administrator, seeking to utilize E*TRADE for a robust online trading platform.
A plan sponsor has two options:
- Open one pooled account where the plan trustee(s) or administrator directs the investment activity for the entire plan. Enrolled plan participants have no control over this account. Funds are pooled in the same account and all investments are owned at the plan level.
- Open separate accounts and authorize each enrolled plan participant or the plan administrator to direct the investment activity. The account will be established for the benefit of ("FBO") one plan participant and may not pool plan assets from other participants in the same account.
- This account may be opened at any time. The deadline to fund the account is plan specific.
- Plan participants must be 18 years of age or older and U.S. citizens or residents with a valid U.S. address
Can a retirement account be opened for a business and the investment activity directed for every participant?
Yes. One pooled account may be opened where the plan trustee or administrator directs the investment activity for the entire plan. Enrolled plan participants would have no control over their own individual accounts.
Is margin and options trading allowed on an investment-only (non-custodial) plan?
Margin trading is not allowed, however, options level one (writing covered calls) may be requested if allowed by the Plan document.
If the account is transferred to E*TRADE, how will the trustee(s) be notified of investment activity within the plan?
The plan's trustee(s) will automatically receive trade confirmations and account statements showing the plan’s activity. The plan trustee(s) can also request that E*TRADE provide the plan participant(s) duplicate copies of trade confirmations and account statements.
If a non-custodial plan is opened, will E*TRADE do the recordkeeping and tax reporting?
No, E*TRADE will not provide recordkeeping or tax reporting. This must be done independently by the trustee(s) or a third-party plan administrator.
Explore similar accounts
Plan for small businesses & self-employed individuals
For small business owners or self-employed individuals, the SEP IRA may be a low-cost path to tax-deferred retirement savings.
A retirement plan similar to a 401(k)
A SIMPLE IRA is an easy, inexpensive plan for businesses with less than 100 employees.
Individual and Roth Individual 401(k)
Retirement investing for the self-employed
This plan gives self-employed individuals (with no employees other than a spouse) the ability to maximize their retirement savings.