Privacy is our priority.
We are committed to maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of our customers' personal information. In the course of offering and providing financial products and services, we collect and maintain certain personal information. This Policy explains what personal information we collect and how we use and share such personal information. It also explains what you can do to limit the use and sharing of your personal information.
We do not disclose personal information about our customers to non-affiliated third parties, except as described below.
What types of information do we collect?
When you apply for a financial product or service, open or maintain an account with us, or when you agree to allow us to provide personalized advisory services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide online and on applications or other forms, or through discussions we have with you or your representatives, such as your name, address, social security number, date of birth, income, employment information, investment experience, risk tolerance, and information about your personal investment goals or objectives;
- Information about your transactions with or through us, such as your account balance, trading activity, loan amount, and account history, if applicable;
- Information about you for account authentication and for use with fraud prevention technologies, including biometric voiceprint;
- Information you provide us about your external financial accountsso that we may provide you with special product and service features; and
- Technical, navigational and other information transferred when visiting our websites or using our mobile applications, such as IP address, device type, and browser type.
In addition, we may compile aggregate, anonymous, or de-identified data from various sources, including but not limited to accounts and transactions. This data, which we may use for our business purposes consistent with applicable law, does not identify individual customers.
When do we disclose personal information and to what types of entities do we disclose personal information?
We may disclose personal information we collect, such as the categories described above, to make our financial products and services, as well as those offered by our service providers, available to you. We may also use and disclose personal information with your consent. If you decide to withhold certain information, it may limit our ability to provide you with the services or products you request or that may be of interest to you. We do not disclose personal information about former customers to anyone outside of our affiliated companies except as permitted or required by law; to cooperate with regulators and law enforcement authorities; and to current or former corporate clients of E*TRADE Financial Corporate Services, Inc. to provide reporting and other services consistent with the terms of an employee stock plan.
We may disclose your personal information to the following entities:
- our affiliated companies (please see below to learn how you may limit the sharing of some of this information for marketing purposes by our affiliated companies);
- non-affiliated third parties that perform services, such as marketing or market research, on our behalf (for example, we may provide your name, address, phone number, or e-mail address to third parties that send e-mail or regular mail on our behalf);
- non-affiliated third parties that service, maintain, or process your transactions and accounts (for example, companies that provide administrative, telecommunications, computer, trade execution, payment, and securities clearing services, and that prepare and mail account statements and transaction confirmations and other services in connection with the operation of our business);
- non-affiliated third parties as permitted or required by law to defend our rights or enforce a contract, or to cooperate with government agencies or regulators, (including for tax purposes), securities exchanges, self-regulatory bodies (such as FINRA and NFA) and law enforcement officials (for example, for reporting suspicious activity or transactions);
- non-affiliated third parties to protect against actual or potential fraud or unauthorized transactions, and to protect the security of our records and systems, unless prohibited by law;
- non-affiliated third parties at your direction or for which you provide your express consent (for example, banking or financial institutions and professional service providers);
- non-affiliated third parties in connection with E*TRADE Financial Corporate Services, Inc.’s provision of services to employee stock plan sponsors, but only in connection with activities associated with your E*TRADE Securities Stock Plan account; and
- non-affiliated third parties in connection with the proposed or actual financing, insuring, sale, securitization, assignment, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets (including accounts) for the purposes of evaluating and performing the proposed transaction.
We require that commercial entities (as described above) with which we share your personal information agree to keep your information confidential. We also prohibit those entities from using or disclosing your information except for a limited purpose and to the persons for whom disclosure was intended, or as otherwise permitted or required by law. Service providers to whom we disclose personal information must agree to contractual requirements consistent with our privacy and security policies. We prohibit our service providers from using personal information except for the specific purpose for which we provide to them, and we require them to comply with legal obligations applicable to the personal information at issue.
We may disclose information about your external financial accounts to our affiliated companies to provide you with account aggregation services and for marketing purposes unless you opt-out of such sharing.
We will request your consent before we use or disclose your personal information for a materially different purpose than those set forth in this Policy. Consent may be obtained by any legally sufficient method. For example, depending on the circumstances and applicable laws, consent may be obtained by providing you with notice and the opportunity to opt-out.
How may you limit the sharing of your personal information?
You may limit or "opt-out" of our sharing your personal information with non-affiliated third parties for their marketing purposes. However, because we do not currently share your personal information with any non-affiliated third party in a manner that would trigger this opt-out right, there is no need for you to opt-out or take any other action telling us not to share such information with non-affiliated third parties.
You may also opt-out of our sharing certain personal information (for example, information other than your transactions and experiences with us, such as your credit report) among our affiliated companies. However, because we only share information about your transactions and experiences (for example, account balance, trading activity, loan amount, and account history) with our affiliated companies, there is no need for you to exercise your opt-out right.
Finally, you may also limit certain kinds of marketing from our affiliated companies. You may elect to restrict our affiliated companies from marketing their products or services to you based on information about you that we share with them. Since our affiliated companies engage in such marketing from time to time, we are providing you with the ability to opt-out so that you do not receive these marketing communications in the future. To limit these marketing offers, please contact us by using the mail or telephone contact information provided below.
Your choice to limit marketing offers from our affiliated companies will apply until you tell us otherwise. You may change your opt-out status at any time. For consumers with joint accounts, an opt-out direction by one joint account holder will be treated as applying to all of the associated joint account holders.
Where do we store personal information?
The personal information that we collect from you will be stored in the United States and other countries that may have different privacy laws and standards than those in your country of residence. Your personal information may be transferred to or processed in the United States by us or by a third party service provider working for us. By submitting personal information via our website or other means, you agree to such storage, transfers and processing.
Our third party service providers may hold your personal information in countries other than your own, including the United States. You acknowledge and understand that the protection of your personal information will be subject to the applicable laws of each such jurisdiction, which may not provide for the same protection as your country of residence. For example, government entities in the United States and other countries may have certain rights to access your personal information. If you have questions about our policies and practices with respect to service providers outside your jurisdiction, including the collection, use, disclosure, or storage of personal information by our service providers worldwide, and you are entitled by applicable law to be provided this information, you may contact our Chief Privacy Officer by e-mail at CPO@etrade.com. Please provide your first and last name and mail address in your request.
How do we protect the confidentiality and security of personal information?
We maintain reasonable physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information. Our employees and third party service providers have access to your personal information only on a "need to know" basis. We conduct regular internal audits of our business practices and procedures in order to protect your personal information.
In addition to our security measures, you can also take steps to maximize your security online and to protect your confidential information. Additional information on these topics can be found on our website at the Security Center link.
What should I know about tracking technologies, “interest-based advertising” and “do not track”?
We and our third-party service providers may collect and store certain information when you visit or interact with our website (“Usage Information”). This Usage Information may be stored or accessed using tracking technologies such as “cookies” and “web beacons” that may be downloaded to your personal computer, tablet, mobile phone or other device (“Device”) when you visit or interact with our website. Usage Information may include but is not limited to:
- IP address, UDID or other unique device identifier, a number that is automatically assigned to your Device and used by us to identify your Device;
- Device functionality and characteristics (including browser, operating system, hardware, and mobile network information);
- the URL that referred you to our website;
- the areas within our website that you visit and your activities, including remembering your preferences; and
- Device location.
Most web browsers can be set to notify you when an HTML cookie is placed on your computer. You can manually delete HTML cookies and set most browsers to refuse to accept HTML cookies, although doing so may affect your website experience. Flash cookies may be removed by managing your Adobe® Flash® Player settings. To delete or prevent placement of Flash cookies, you will need to visit the Adobe® Flash® Player Help site at www.adobe.com/go/settingsmanager, click on the hyperlink for "Website Privacy Settings Panel" on the left side of the screen, and follow the instructions for preventing third party Flash content from storing data on your computer.
To learn more about this type of advertising and how to opt-out of this form of advertising, you may either visit www.aboutads.info to opt-out of sites and services participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) self-regulatory program, or visit www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ to opt-out of this form of advertising by members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). Note that electing to opt-out will not stop advertising from appearing in your browser or applications, although it may make the ads you see less relevant to your interests. In addition, if you use a different browser or erase cookies from your browser, you may need to renew your opt-out choice.
Do Not Track
Various third parties are developing or have developed signals or other mechanisms for the expression of consumer choice regarding the collection of information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third party web sites or online services (for example, browser “do not track” signals). Because a “Do Not Track” protocol has not been finalized, the information collection and disclosure practices of our website, and the choices that our website provides to consumers, will continue to operate as described in this Policy, whether or not a Do Not Track signal is received. Currently, we do not monitor or take any action with respect to these signals or other similar mechanisms.
How can customers access and update or correct their personal information?
As a customer, you may access and update some of your personal information. You may log on to our website using your user name and password and, from the home page, click on My Profile just under the Accounts tab and select the information you want to change.
We make reasonable efforts to maintain your personal information in an accurate, complete and up-to-date form. Please contact us if you believe that your personal information is inaccurate, incomplete, or out-of-date. Or, where entitled by applicable law, you may request access to your personal information by sending an e-mail to CPO@etrade.com. Please include your first and last name and mail address in your request. You may also update your information by calling or writing us using the contact information provided below. We will process your request in compliance with local laws and our policies and procedures. Please note that before we are able to provide you with any information or correct any inaccuracies, we may ask you for additional information to verify your identity.
Under certain circumstances, we may be unable to provide access to all of your personal information. We may deny or restrict access or deny your request to change your personal information for legally permissible reasons, such as where the information contains references to other individuals and is not reasonably severable; where it cannot be disclosed for legal, security, or commercial proprietary reasons; or where we have your personal information in our capacity as a third party administrative record keeper. We will advise you of any reason for denying or restricting an access request to the extent permitted by law, rule, or regulation.
Updates to this Policy
We may update this Policy from time to time, and will review it at least annually. We encourage you to periodically check back to this Policy to learn about updates to our privacy practices.
Notice to California residents
California law requires that we obtain your affirmative consent before we share your non-public personal information with non-affiliated third parties for their own marketing purposes. However, because we do not currently share personal information about you with any non-affiliated third party in a manner that would trigger this requirement, there is no need at this time for us to seek your consent.
To limit the sharing of your personal information
If you wish to opt-out of our sharing your personal information with our affiliated companies for marketing purposes, please contact us by telephone or mail:
E*TRADE Financial Corporation
P.O. Box 484
Jersey City, NJ 07303-0484
From within the U.S.: 800-ETRADE-1 (800-387-2331)
From outside the U.S.: 001-800-387-2331
For questions regarding our Privacy Statement, please visit the Contact Us page on our website or call 800-ETRADE-1 (800-387-2331).
© 2002-2018 E*TRADE Financial Corporation. All rights reserved.
|FACTS||WHAT DOES E*TRADE DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?|
|WHY?||Financial companies choose how they share your personal information. Federal law gives consumers the right to limit some but not all sharing. Federal law also requires us to tell you how we collect, share, and protect your personal information. Please read this notice carefully to understand what we do.|
The types of personal information we collect and share depend on the product or service you have with us. This information can include:
When you are no longer our customer, we may continue to share your information as described in this notice.
|HOW?||All financial companies need to share customers' personal information to run their everyday business. In the section below, we list the reasons financial companies can share their customers' personal information; the reasons E*TRADE chooses to share; and whether you can limit this sharing.|
|Reasons we can share your personal information||Does E*TRADE share?||Can you limit this sharing?|
|For our everyday business purposes –
such as to process your transactions, maintain your account(s), respond to court orders and legal investigations, or report to credit bureaus
|For our marketing purposes –
to offer our products and services to you
|For joint marketing with other financial companies –||No||We do not share|
|For our affiliates' everyday business purposes –
information about your transactions and experiences
|For our affiliates' everyday business purposes –
information about your creditworthiness
|No||We do not share|
|For our affiliates to market to you||Yes||Yes|
|For non-affiliates to market to you||No||We do not share|
|To limit our sharing||
Call 800-ETRADE-1 (800-387-2331) - one of our representatives will assist you.
Please note: If you are a new customer, we can begin sharing your information 30 days from the date we sent this notice. When you are no longer our customer, we may continue to share your information as described in this notice. However, you can contact us at any time to limit our sharing.
Call 800-ETRADE-1 (800-387-2331)
We collect your personal information, for example, when you
- open an account
- tell us about your investment or retirement portfolio
- direct us to buy or sell securities in your account
- make deposits or withdrawals from your account
We also collect your personal information from other companies such as credit bureaus and affiliates.
Federal law gives you the right to limit only
- sharing for affiliates' everyday business purposes–information about your creditworthiness
- affiliates from using your information to market to you
- sharing for non-affiliates to market to you
State laws and individual companies may give you additional rights to limit sharing. See below for more on your rights under state law.
Companies related by common ownership or control. They can be financial and nonfinancial companies.
- For purposes of this notice our affiliates include companies with the E*TRADE name including E*TRADE Securities LLC, E*TRADE Capital Management, LLC, E*TRADE Futures LLC, E*TRADE Financial Corporate Services, Inc., E*TRADE Bank, and E*TRADE Savings Bank (other than products and services branded with TCA by E*TRADE or E*TRADE Advisor Services).
Companies not related by common ownership or control. They can be financial and nonfinancial companies.
- E*TRADE does not share your personal information with nonaffiliates for their marketing purposes.
A formal agreement between non-affiliated financial companies that together market financial products or services to you.
- E*TRADE does not jointly market.
CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: We do not share your personal information unless applicable law (1) permits us to do so without first obtaining your prior consent, or (2) we first provide you an opportunity to limit this sharing.
NEVADA RESIDENTS: Nevada law requires us to disclose that you may elect to be placed on our internal do-not-call list by calling us at 800-ETRADE-1 (800-387-2331). For further information, contact the Nevada Attorney General’s office at 555 E. Washington Ave., Suite 3900, Las Vegas, NV 89101; by phone at 702-486-3132; or by email at BCPINFO@ag.state.nv.us.