Restate your Qualified Retirement Plan by 7/31/2022
The IRS requires all employers with retirement plans using IRS pre-approved documents to restate their plan documents every six years to comply with legislative and regulatory changes since the last restatement. Your E*TRADE plan documents use these IRS pre-approved documents and the following account types are required to restate in this cycle:
- Individual and Roth Individual 401K
- Profit Sharing Plan
- Money Purchase Plan
The six year periods are called “cycles” and we are currently in cycle 3. Restating the plan documents in a timely manner is necessary to preserve your plan’s tax-qualified status. For a summary of the changes, go to https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-17-37.pdf
All plans must be restated by July 31, 2022. Failure to complete this restatement could result in the disqualification of your plan. Although you are only required to return the Plan Restatement Certification Form and the Adoption Agreement (Include Adoption Agreement only if any changes have been made to your plan), you are responsible for completing and retaining all required documents for your records. You can access all plan documents in the links below. You can also call a Small Business Plan Specialist at 888-402-0654 from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET, weekdays to request paper copies of these forms at no charge.
General Restatement Instructions
- Complete, sign, and keep a copy of the Adoption Agreement(s) in your files. If you've made any changes, please send a copy via fax, mail, or Document Upload as outlined in the PPA Restatement Instructions below.
- Complete the Plan Restatement Certification Form online at etrade.com/DocuSignPPA, or complete the paper form and return via fax, mail, or Document Upload as outlined in the PPA Restatement Instructions below.
- Download your plan documents and distribute the Summary Plan Description (SPD) to all participating employees and plan beneficiaries. Individual 401(k) and Profit Sharing Plan employers must distribute the Hardship Distribution Summary of Material Modifications (SMM) as well.
Individual and Roth Individual 401(k)
- Individual and Roth Individual 401(k) Plan Adoption Agreement
- Individual & Roth Individual 401(k) Plan Documents
(includes Summary Plan Description)
Profit Sharing Plan
Money Purchase Plan
- Trust and Custodial Agreement
(only required for plans with a trustee)