Learn how to use the futures trading ladder to place futures trades
1. Once logged on to your E*TRADE account, use the “Trading” tab dropdown menu to launch the OptionsHouse platform.
2. On the platform, under “Trading”, select “Chart” from the dropdown choices and enter a futures symbol in the quote box.
3. From the “Chart” screen, open the trading ladder by clicking “Show Ladder”.
· The current market price is highlighted in yellow in the middle of the ladder
· Market depth to the downside in green
· market depth to the upside in red
4. To center the ladder around the current price, click the “bullseye” button.
5. To place a trade from the ladder, next to the corresponding desired trade price click:
· Green box to buy, or
· Red box to sell
This will open up an order ticket. You can either edit or send to the market.
6. When placing or selling an order:
· Click a green price above the market to place a buy stop order, or
· Click a red price below the market to place a sell stop order
7. Use quick action buttons at the top of the ladder to execute trades using different order types:
· Buy Market
· Sell Market
8. For convenience when using this feature:
· Set your default quantity and duration to set up trades
· Turn off the order preview ticket for one-click trading by turning “Auto Send” on
9. Modify or cancel your placed order by:
· Clicking on your order in the ladder, or
· By going to Account > Orders
10. Track your activity by looking at the position information at the top of the ladder.
With the futures ladder at E*TRADE, you can quickly and efficiently execute your futures trades and manage your futures positions. Visit the Futures Research Center to explore futures markets and trading insights.