How to Use the Risk Slide Tool
When you put on your risk manager hat, there are two key questions you need to answer. First: What is the risk of your portfolio in the event of a significant market move? And next: What specific positions within your portfolio carry the most risk? The E*TRADE Risk Slide tool helps answer these questions.
1. Log on to your E*TRADE account, hover over the “Trading” tab, and select “Power E*TRADE” from the drop-down menu.
2. Select “Account” and “Risk Slide” to open the tool.
- Please note: The Risk Slide tool is only available to E*TRADE customers who opt in to real-time market data. The tool is not currently available for all E*TRADE customers.
3. A matrix of existing positions, organized by security, is displayed.
4. Click “Total” to see your aggregate portfolio, or select an individual security. You can exclude any position in your risk calculation by hovering over the symbol and unchecking the box.
- The position is still visible in the grid, but it is dimmed out to indicate that it is not currently evaluated as part of your total market risk.
5. Turn the “Beta” indicator “On” to beta weight your portfolio.
- Beta weighting can potentially help you anticipate how individual securities may move if that major index were to move by some defined percentage.
- When you beta weight your portfolio, those changes will also be represented in the corresponding graph at the bottom of the Risk Slide.
6. To make changes to market volatilities and see how your positions change, select “Volatility Change” at the top of the Risk Slide. Choose either “Absolute” or “Relative,” and input the number of points (positive or negative) by which you’d like to change your options. Then click “Apply.”
7. You will see the change in the chart as well as in the graph below.
By using the E*TRADE Risk Slide tool, you can see which positions are likely to have the greatest effect on your holdings when the market moves, which could potentially help you prepare for those effects.